- Jennifer Van Os. August, 2019. Showerheads effectively cool cows. Dairy’s Bottom Line.
- Jennifer Van Os. July, 2019. Let cows choose. Dairy’s Bottom Line.
- Jennifer Van Os. June, 2019. Animal welfare should be a strength for a dairy operation, not a threat. Wisconsin State Farmer.
- Jennifer Van Os. June, 2019. Animal care includes providing dairy cattle with opportunities for important behaviors. Progressive Dairyman.
- Jennifer Van Os. July, 2018. Cow-centric approach leads to wins. Dairy’s Bottom Line 20(5):2-3.
- Jennifer M. Chen, Grazyne Tresoldi, and Cassandra B. Tucker. May, 2016. Enfriamiento eficiente de vacas lecheras en condiciones de calor (Efficient cooling of dairy cows in hot conditions). Albéitar 196:12-14.
- Jennifer M. Chen, Grazyne Tresoldi, and Cassandra B. Tucker. July, 2014. Are your cows hot? Hoard’s Dairyman Magazine. (Also in Spanish: September, 2014)
- Jennifer M. Chen and Cassandra B. Tucker. October, 2014. Water costs: Soaker nozzle type affects water use, but not cow cooling. California Dairy Magazine.
- Jennifer M. Chen and Cassandra B. Tucker. July, 2014. Soaker nozzle type affects water use, but not cow cooling. California Dairy Newsletter – University of California Agriculture and Natural Resources 6:5-6.
Radio and Video Interviews
- Part 1: Improving Animal Welfare and Part 2: U.S. Dairy Farmers Remain Dedicated to Healthy Cows
Radio interviews for PDPW’s Producer Tuesday on Dairy Radio Now with Bill Baker. May 14 and 21, 2019 (5:00 and 4:59)
- Social housing for calves – Jennifer Van Os — Animal Welfare Specialist
Radio interview on WGLR 97.7 with Bob Middendorf. March 19, 2019 (9:46)
- The Dairyland Initiative Youngstock Facility Design Workshop
Video chat with Tina Kohlman, UW-Extension Fond du Lac County. May 7, 2018
- Dr. Jennifer Van Os – UW Madison Extension Specialist Animal Welfare
Radio interview on WAXX 104.5, Talkin’ With Bob & Kristin. April 20, 2018
- Recognizing Cow Heat Stress & How Much Water to Apply Through Soakers
Video interview with California Ag Network (YouTube video, 2:39). April 22, 2015
Recorded Video & Audio Presentations
- Muddy conditions reduce hygiene and lying time in dairy cattle and increase time spent on concrete
Elsevier Audioslides or YouTube (4:03)
Author presentation to accompany paper in Journal of Dairy Science. July 2, 2017.
- Comparison of instantaneous sampling and continuous observation of dairy cattle behavior in freestall housing
Elsevier Audioslides or YouTube (4:59)
Author presentation to accompany paper in Journal of Dairy Science. September 2, 2016.
- Cooling cows efficiently with water spray: Behavioral, physiological, and production responses to sprinklers at the feed bunk
Elsevier Audioslides or YouTube (4:22)
Author presentation to accompany paper in Journal of Dairy Science. May 17, 2016.
- Cooling dairy cows efficiently with sprinklers: Behavioral, physiological, and production responses to water spray
Adobe Connect Video (47:57)
Seminar in Department of Animal Science, University of California, Davis. February 22, 2016.
- Understanding dairy cow behavior to reduce heat load and conserve water YouTube (1:00:42)
Exit Seminar for Animal Behavior Graduate Group, University of California, Davis. April 3, 2015.
Photo by Gloria Hafemeister, The Watertown Daily Times